Fayetteville Law Firm | Booneville Law Firm

Top 7 Myths About Arkansas Child Support

Top 7 Myths About Arkansas Child Support

When it comes to child support questions, it can be tempting to turn to friends and family for insight. What’s fair? What’s allowed? What’s not? Unfortunately, there’s a lot of misinformation out there about Arkansas child support. So we’re taking on the top 7 questions parents tend to have on child support and giving you the facts.

I lost my job so I can stop making my child support payments immediately.

FALSE. You cannot stop making child support payments without the court’s permission. If you lose your job, then you can petition the court to reduce your payments during your time of unemployment, but you cannot unilaterally discontinue payments.

My spouse cheated on me so I should get more child support for our children.

FALSE. Child support is based primarily on the non-custodial parent’s income. While there are other factors that the court may consider when calculating support, fault is not one of them. Generally speaking, the courts use these charts to determine support.

I can lose my driver’s license or professional license if I do not pay child support as ordered.

TRUE. If you become more than 3 months behind in paying child support, Arkansas law allows your driver’s license to be suspended. This may also result in the loss of your business license, such as a contractor’s license, plumber’s license, real estate license, or other professional license.

If the non-custodial parent stops paying child support, I can keep him or her from visiting the children.

FALSE. Non-payment of support has no effect on parental visitation. Interference with visitation is a Class C misdemeanor in Arkansas which carries a penalty of up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $500. Just because the non-custodial parent is not following the court’s orders, that doesn’t give you the right to do the same. Two wrongs do not make a right.

All child support must be spent directly on the children.

FALSE. Child support is paid to the custodial parent as an offset to the children’s expenses. It can be used for indirect expenses such as rent and utilities.

I have a right to know how my child support is spent by the custodial parent.

FALSE. Arkansas law does not require the custodial parent to account for child support received.

If I was never married to the child’s mother, I do not have to pay child support.

FALSE. If you are adjudged to be the child’s biological father, you will most likely be required to pay child support, regardless of whether or not you were ever married to your child’s mother.

Child support can be a sticky situation, but it doesn’t have to be. The attorneys at Danielson Law Firm are experienced in handling all aspects of domestic relations, including child support, divorce, custody, and

Contact one of our offices to set up an appointment with an attorney to review your circumstances and discuss your best course of action.

Leave a Reply


Fayetteville Law Office

(479) 935-8313

909 Rolling Hills Dr.
Fayetteville, AR 72703

Booneville Law Office

(479) 935-8060

4 Village Loop
Booneville, AR 72927

Make a Payment